Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Rest in Peace McGreevy



Red Door expresses its deepest sympathies to Kerri F. on the passing of her beloved McGreevy. He was a tiny dwarf boy with a BIG attitude. Kerri remembers...

"I originally came to Red Door for Schroeder because I saw him on Petfinder. I ended up seeing McGreevy first and he seemed to take a liking to me. I heard that he was having a hard time getting adopted and that just broke my heart. I did leave with Schrodie but I never forgot about The Greevster. I kept checking in with Marcia hoping he was adopted. He wasn't so I fostered him.

After about a week he got stuck under my radiator (which wasn't on thank god!). After I got him out (longest 3 min of my life), I knew he was trouble but I also knew he was mine. Well I've had McGreevy for over 6 yrs. and in that time he never failed to make me laugh. He liked to get in trouble...but how can you really get mad at a bunny? He was not allowed in my bedroom anymore because of my allergies and because he ripped the bottom off of my box spring and would hide inside of it. So he liked to sit in the doorway of my room as if he were challenging me. Most of the time he would just wait until I noticed and I'd yell "Bunny!", and he'd run as fast as he could back to his room. Then he'd do it again 5 min. later.

He also figured out that I was giving my dogs sweet potato and he'd box my dog out of her bowl just to get some. She never fought him. She knew who she was messing with. So I started giving him a little too until the doctor said that was a no no. So instead he got a tablespoon of critical care with a little carrot on top for his nightly treat. He loved his critical care! I work all different hours but the latest I ever get home is about 9:30pm. So that became midnight snack time. One thing that always amazed me is that he knew what time it was! Even when I came home early or didn't work at all, he knew when it was 9pm. So he would wait in the doorway of the kitchen and stare me down until I started getting their treat ready. Then McGreevy and my two dogs would line up side by side and wait for it. He'd scarf his down so he could try to steal the dogs treat too. He soon had to be separated from the dogs during treat time.

Needless to say he was a character. I used to call him my little BadAss. He was the best and going through all my pictures made realize how much he must have missed Schroeder. They were my little Brokeback Bunnies. Hopefully they're together again. That gives me some peace of mind."

McGreevy was well-loved and will be missed by many.

5 comments:

Laura said...

Such a nice story. They were both lucky bunnies to have the best Mommy ever! He will be missed and loved forever!

julia goolia said...

Agreed. Those bunnies had great lives and a wonderful Mom!

Unknown said...

In my next life, I want to be one of Kerri's pets! Like all of them, Greevy got so much love, attention & GOOD FOOD. But, now he's happy w/Schroeder :)

Unknown said...

I loved your stories about Greevy. He seemed like such a little character. He was a lucky bunny to be loved so much by you! All of your pets should be thankful to you have you.

Red Door Animal Shelter said...

McGreevy always had an interesting life, even at the shelter. He liked to sit on the top of a cardboard castle. Once some drug-addled people came in and tried to scoop him up off the castle & into their coat pockets. We quickly shooed them out, but somehow I thik McGreevy could have handled himself.

The shelter also once had an eccentric window washer who insisted that McGreevy had called his cell phone once. Who knows?

He was an incredible bunny, as was Schroeder. And every animal should have a caring mom like Kerri.